The New Flapper Style Fashion.

Flapper fashion and all things 1920's are having a moment in 2012. I have certainly caught the bug! I have immensely enjoyed creating flapper style headbands using peacock feathers and bits and pieces from my vintage trim collection. These are not difficult to make, you simply layer all the feathers and trims together and hot glue them onto a small felt disc and then onto a stretch elastic headband, or add ribbon ties. Some hand stitching will also add strength. If you don't want to make your own, I have a varied selection, which I change and add to as they sell out.

My next project has been to create flapper style dresses and my first attempts are made using a vintage satin nightdress as a starting point. I took my inspiration for this dress from images of 1920's vintage flapper gowns. My Talulah Cafe` dress began life as a size 18 full length straight gown. I worked it on my stand into a very cute size 10 dress with machine embroidery to add texture and a scalloped hemline. The back laces up simply, allowing an adjustable fit. The front is ruched to give a pretty neckline. Of course I have added many trims, some I have hand dyed. This was in my Etsy shop, but is now sold to a happy customer in CA, who then purchased a headband to match!

These next two are the vintage inspiration for my dress, there is nothing like history to inspire fashion!

The second of my dresses is a baby doll style, but still retains the cheeky flapper mood, in dusky pink!
Again I have used a vintage satin slip as a base. This time it has a younger feel with flouncy lace and all manner of trims, including little black chiffon roses around the neckline and hand dyed fringing. I also came across the perfectly matching fringe necklace in my trims stash. It must have made it's way there from one of my daughter's Burlesque costumes!! This dress is still available in my Etsy shop...
I'm hoping to add more dresses to my collection as soon as time allows. My next creations will be made from scratch, which will hopefully speed up their birth, as the two above took several weeks to construct. I'm not complaining though, how lucky am I to be able to follow my dream!!
Thank you for reading.

Comments

susan said…
hi i was wondering where u are

Popular Posts